Wednesday 22 July 2009

Gaming Diary: Resident Evil: Code Veronica


Hey guys, Mark here and I've gotta say over the summer I've been playing on my Dreamcast a lot. Also recently I bought Resident Evil Code Veronica for it, have been playing it and it is amazing.

It follows on from Resident Evil 2 and Claire Redfield is still looking for her brother Chris, and she gets captured by Umbrella. She is transferred to a prison on Rockfort Island and a strange guy called Rodrigo frees her but is too wounded to leave the room, Claire then finds that the T-Virus has been released onto the island and there are zombies and B.O.Ws (Bio Organic Weapons) She meets Steve (another prisoner) and together they have to get off the island. That's a basic rundown of the story and it is like the other resident evil games I suppose. The game also features 2 discs, 1 for the first half of the game and another for the second half. I have just started the second disc and I'm enjoying the game so far.

The game has pretty good graphics (for a Dreamcast game that is) and I've heard it has a nifty first person view when you get the sniper rifle in the game. It plays like the early resident evil games but I like it because it uses fixed camera angles at some points but on others the camera actually follows you, which is a nice change. Ammo is limited in the game and so are saves, so you have to use what you get and only save when you think you've made significant progress. I discovered this the hard way when I got to the end of disc one boss and realised I'd used up most of my grenade launcher ammo and explosive rounds on another fight with him. The puzzles in the game are also very clever and will really have you thinking. You really have to examine everything and go with every idea you get.

Overall this is probably one of my favourite games in the RE series because it has a fairly unique vibe to it all even though it is similar to the other RE games. I also enjoy the story and it has a great cast of characters. Also people who have played Resident Evil 5 and know about Chris and Wesker's hatred for each other may want to play this as it has some pretty good moments with them. Alfred and Alexia Ashford are both...interesting characters as well.


Images from Lejeuvideo.com and gamershell.com

No comments: